Sunday, April 22, 2012

Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry.

About a year ago,
We left this place,
This place which held so many memories,
The place where our memoirs will describe,
Where the days were long,
And the seasons sped by.

Our acts of vandalism,
Were lost in the four seasons that swept by,
Winter in her icy cool and silent rage,
Spring where our hopes died,
Summer where we tried,
And autumn where we reminisced.

Can't remember,
What went wrong last September,
But I'm sure you'd remind me,
If you absolutely had to.

I sleep with this new girl,
I'm still getting used to,
My friends all approve of her,
Saying she's gonna be good for you,
They throw me high fives.

Don't get me wrong,
She's amazing,
Beautiful,
Smart,
Charismatic,
Lovely,
Exciting,
And she loves me.

But surely,
And surely I say,
She's no you.

Grey sweatpants,
No make-up,
So perfect.

But that's where it ends,
That beautiful soundtrack,
The vivid image of our youth,
Fading to black and ominous gray.

The sound of the hummingbird arouses me,
From this sweet distraction,
The aroma of fresh coffee wafts,
And I am reminded,
That as powerful mankind can be,
We are still bound by our clocks,
Ticking like bombs,
Closer and closer to the next moment in life,
Destroying all chance of a lost chance,

Memories may fade,
Sights and images will wither,
Songs and melodies lose their motif,
But emotions will remain eternal.

~ Jon. 23/4/2012

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.
John Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment